Welcome to Didcot Runners.
We're delighted that you've found us! Use this site to discover all the upcoming races, forthcoming events and past events/News.
Didcot Runners was formed in 2003, our aim is "primarily to encourage running at any standard, either with a view to competing in races or simply for exercise and fun. The Club is an association through which its members can pursue and promote their interests in social and competitive athletics. "
We welcome all levels, standards and abilities. We encourage everyone who is interested in joining us to come along and participate in a few of our sessions before committing to joining. We will introduce and arrange it so you run with people of a similar standard (if you choose). Post run follows a visit to the local pub for those that are interested.
We meet every Tuesday and Thursday and follow the arrangements below as closely as possible. Details of each session are on the events page and calendar. If you would like to join Didcot Runners, please complete a Membership Application Form and bring it along to a club night.
Didcot Town Football Club
Throughout the year, we meet at Didcot Town Football Club at 6.50pm ready to run by 7pm. This gives us 10 minutes to make sure everyone is familiar with the run routes, welcome new runners, pass on Committee and to announce the volunteer tailrunner. There are a choice of distance runs starting from 5km to 10km. Once a month we offer Pacing Groups for those wanting to keep pace for upcoming races or simply want to push themselves.
In the Spring & Summer months we meet at Earth Trust at Wittenham Clumps at 6.50pm for hill or speed training. If you arrive and the gates are closed, please travel back in the direction of Wallingford a short distance and on the left is a small visitors car park. This session is time focused rather than miles.
In the Autumn & Winter months on Thursdays, we will meet at Didcot Town Football Club at 6.50pm for speed intervals. This is planned more around time.
These runs are for socialising and keepng togehter. Routes and distances will vary, some will be led by member. A whole mixture of terrains and sometimes various start points to add variety, incclduing Coached sessins for Cross Country or simply a gentl jog around Didcot patways. If you have an idea for a route to share with the members, please email the secretary and maybe after its is risk assessed it can become a regular club run. We meet at 09:30, Look at the club calender for planned sessions and weekly details.
Am I good enough to come along?
- Two sessions on a Tuesday are offered: a short route 5km-10km and a longer route under 8km-11km.Loopbacks are an option if youd like to add more mileage
- If you can run for 50 minutes continuously (at whatever pace suits you) then you will easily be able to do one of the runs on offer.
- If you can run (however slowly) for about 30 minutes continuously, there is an option to run the full route with a tailrunner or use our shorter distance runs with a Group Leader.
- Tuesday night sessions have two routes to choose.
- Thursday sessions may be split between Coaches and Run Leaders depending on numbers and activity.
- Sunday session are more socialble and vary in distance and terrain.
- If you are an absolute beginner (just started or never having run before) You are welcome to join and join in our Thurday Sessions or you could contact us to discuss how we can help get you started. We also have a couple of beginners' groups throughout the year, check out the beginners section for more information on dates.
What are the Benefits?
- Club membership includes England Athletics (EA) registration
- EA membership gets you subsidised race entry fees and exclusive offers
- Park Club at Milton Park are offering Corporate rate memberships. https://parkclub.co.uk/clubs/milton
- Discounted rates from local sports shops – including Fit2Run
- No charge to members for competing in the cross-country league
- No charge to members for entering in the Grand Prix series
- Opportunities to run in Club Only events
- Experienced Coaches and Run Leaders to lead Thursday night sessions
- The chance to participate in team events throughout the year, relays and cross country.
- It's a great opportunity to meet likeminded people
Most weekends the Didcot parkrun on Saturday morning will see a good turn out of Didcot Runners and a long Sunday run will occasionally take place too, although this depends on who is available, what distance people want to run, what pace, etc. These runs are often announced or discussed on the Facebook Group.
For every training night we have in place a register for everyone to tick themselves out on the run and back again. Please do not leave this for somebody to do on your behalf. We also ask our members to volunteer for tailrunning on club nights to make sure people are not left to run on their own at the back or find themselves off route. On Pacing nights we will ask members to volunteer to run at a pace to help others. All routes are included on the events page so you can make yourself familiar with it prior to setting off and/or print it if necessary. The routes can change at the last minute however if it is unsafe for any reason, so the events page needs to be checked regularly.
We have an annual Club Championship and this is fully explained on the website. A presentation night is arranged towards the end of the year with a variety of trophies. Didcot Runners are always represented at the Oxford Mail Cross Country League with one race a month from November through to March, which is at no extra cost to our members.
We have our own club kit to purchase and once you are a paid up member and are using your club affiliation to obtain discounts in races, you will need to wear the club colours at those races. Kit can be ordered direct by you from K & K PRINTING AND EMBROIDERY, 135 Brasenose Road, Didcot. OX117BP. Telephone: 01235 516699. All kit has been agreed with the Committee and will be printed on approved kit. Any special requests for kit, please contact a member of the committee. If you would like to have other items printed with our Logo, please email Chair@didcotrunners.org.uk for approval.
Help the Club
Once a runner has been a member for a while, they will be encouraged to help the club by volunteering to be the tailrunner, Pacing Group Leader,becoming an intro speaker, welcoming other new people and marshaling at our annual Didcot 5 race. We ask that all members decline to race this event and instead volunteer to help. The race is usually held on the first Sunday in July.
Didcot Runners has a members only Facebook Group which is very active, encouraging, friendly and motivating. Just ask to be added and someone will do the honours and you will be kept up to date.
We also have Twitter and Instagram too, so please #hastag away and advertise our wonderful club
Didcot Runners Club Constitution 2017, see attchment below.
Didcot Runners General Risk Assessment.
Didcot Runners thank Didcot Town FC and Earth Trust for their support in allowing us to use their facilities.
The Didcot Runners logo was created by Pete Aylward.